Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Strangely Warm Theology


I have called myself a Christian most of my life. I had a salvation experience when I was 13 at a revival at my home church in Nicholasville, Ky. That being said, it didn't become real to me until the next day or two when I realized what I had done. I feel my faith has ebbed and flowed quite a bit in my 45 years. There have been times that I have felt far away from God and times that I felt I could almost audibly hear him speaking to me. I would say I have been a believer all of my life...i would also say I have sometimes been a doubter and a skeptic.

My personal belief system is in line with most basic Christian beliefs. I think the Apostles Creed is a good statement of what I believe. I also fall pretty closely in line with a quote by Augustine an early church father.

"In Essentials, unity. In non-essentials, liberty. In all things, love" - Augustine (354-430 AD)

There have been times in my life I have been ultra conservative, times I have been liberal and currently I would call myself middle of the road. I don't get to worked up over issues on either side. Some would say that I am not taking a stand on important issues, but I see it that I am taking a stand on neutral ground.

I also try not to worry about what I would call "minor' differences in beliefs among Christians. I have preferences and I have at times voiced those preferences, but I am not going to argue over something I consider "non-essential".

So, this brings up a question. What am I willing to argue about? Argue is a strong word, so what would I be willing to address? I would say injustice and unwillingness to see the "big" picture. It truly aggravates me when people get so wrapped up in their "idea" of what church should be like, that they cannot see beyond that. I also cannot stand for others to be used, abused, ridiculed, etc.

Why am I sharing this? It is all part of my pulling back the layers of who I am and what makes me tick. The disclaimer here would be that as I do this, I may uncover other layers that I need to address. Thanks for staying for all the fun! :)

No comments: